Penny and Giles Aerospace is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Curtiss-Wright Corporation forming part of the Motion Control group.
Curtiss-Wright Corporation was formed in 1929 from the merger of Wright Aeronautical Corporation and Curtiss Aerospace and Motor Company and is headquartered in New Jersey, US. It is a diversified Global enterprise.
In 1955 Penny and Giles Limited (one of the original companies that now form Penny & Giles) was founded, initially to provide flight test instrumentation. A product line of various transducers and recording equipment was developed and by 1957 the first magnetic Accident Data Recorder (ADR), was test flown on a Gloster Meteor at the Boscombe Down Research Establishment, England.
Following the success of the early pioneering work in flight data recording, the company secured contracts with the UK Ministry of Defence to supply crash recorders for fighter aircraft. These early recorders typically recorded 24 parameters onto stainless steel wire for a duration of 4 hours.
Penny & Giles branched into commercial aviation when the UK Government announced that aircraft heavier than 25,000 lb were to be fitted with accident recorders.
The overnight competition that subsequently appeared greatly accelerated the recorder development program and several systems using Mylar and stainless steel tape were produced.
The company developed the first combined Cockpit Voice (CVR) and Flight Data Recorder (FDR). Being designed for military combat aircraft, the units had to be lightweight and small. Crash survivability requirements also exceeded the existing standards for commercial aircraft. Launched initially on the Harrier GR5 program, several other versions were created and exported to overseas air forces for a variety of aircraft. With the UK Civil Aviation Authority mandate for recorders on rotary-wing aircraft, a civil version of the CVFDR was produced.
Address: 1 Airfield Road, Christchurch, Dorset, BH23 3TH, United Kingdom